What is aftercare?

If you do not qualify for EFC or PESS or need more help then either program can give you, there is another program called Aftercare that can help you when you are dealing with an emergency situation and are in need of resources. Aftercare can also be an “in-between” program to help you while you work towards qualifying for EFC or PESS. 

What if I am homeless and need help right away?

Any help to prevent homelessness should be given to you on an expedited (or very quick) basis and no application is needed for services to begin. Services should start within 24 hours.

A picture of an adorable blue cartoon pit bull named Scrappy.

SCRAPPY TIP: If you are homeless call the Office of Continuing Care (OCC) 850 300 HOPE for help.

How do I qualify for aftercare?

  • Have been in licensed care on your 18th birthday and be between 18-22 years old. AND
  • Not currently in Extended Foster Care (EFC)

What are some examples of aftercare services?

  • Mentoring
  • Tutoring
  • Mental health services
  • Substance abuse treatment
  • Life skills classes (ex budgeting)
  • Parenting classes
  • Job and career skills training.
  • Financial assistance for things you need, including: education supplies, transportation expenses, security deposits for rent and utilities, furniture, household goods, and other basic living expenses.
  • Money to help with emergency situations, including, but not limited to, car repairs or large medical expenses
  • Financial literacy skills training
A picture of an adorable blue cartoon pit bull named Scrappy.

SCRAPPY TIP: In some cases, you can get aftercare services while in PESS.

What if I have a physical/mental disability? 

Your case manager must make sure you have extra support if needed and must provide you an equal opportunity to receive services 

What happens after I apply for aftercare?

  After the application is approved you will work with a case manager to form an “Aftercare Services Plan” that includes what Aftercare services would be needed for you to achieve your goals. It will also say the amount of funding that will be given to you.  This plan will be reviewed between you and the case manager every three months for as long as the services are needed. 

What if I need financial help with an emergency situation?

In an emergency situation, such as car repairs or large medical expenses, you may be able to get extra financial assistance from aftercare services to help during that emergency situation. Make sure you talk to the case manager helping you if you need extra funding.  

The Law

Fla Stat Sec 409.1451, Fla Admin Code 65C-42.003

In This Section:

Add to Favorites
ClosePlease login
Related Articles